Welcome to Extracurricular Speech!
Our Speech team is made up of 7th-12 grade students.
For more information, contact Ms. Breitenbach-Dirks!
- Informative Speaking
- an original (student-written) informative composition that presents information
- Original Oratory
- an original (student-written) persuasive composition that offers insight or guidance
- Great Speeches
- analysis of a historically significant speech (or anthology of speeches) given by another
- Creative Expression
- (anything creative that is written and preformed by the student)
- Duo Interpretation
- (two students interpreting serious or humorous prose, poetry, or drama)
- Humorous Interpretation
- (interpretation of a published piece of prose, poetry, or drama given for enjoyment and amusement)
- Serious Drama Interpretation
- (performing published plays, radio-plays, television plays, or screen plays of a serious nature)
- Serious Poetry Interpretation
- (performing published poetry that is serious in mood)
- Serious Prose Interpretation
- (performing published selection of prose, fiction, or non-fiction that is serious in nature)
- Extemporaneous Reading
- (student draws a reading and has 30 minutes to create an introduction and practice reading)
- Extemporaneous Speaking
- (student draws a question based on current U.S. or International topics and has 30 minutes to prepare a speech synthesizing fact and opinion)
- (students extemporaneously recreate a familiar story; stories are drawn 30 minutes prior)
- small group problem-solving discussions seeking concensus
* More Invitational Tournment Dates to be posted soon!
- Saturday, March 28 - Subsection Tournament (Cannon Falls)
- Saturday, April 4 - Section Tournament (Byron)
- Friday, April 17 - Saturday, April 18 - State Tournament (Wayzata)